September 13, 2020
'Christmas Cheer' Christmas Cards - LOTS of cards
Crop A While design team member Karen Neilson loves to use every bit she can from kits. So she decided to see how many cards she could really make from the PhotoPlay 'Christmas Cheer' card kit.
The 'Christmas Cheer' kit includes all the papers, stickers and instructions needed for 8 A2 sized cards. But by adding a few cardstock sheets for card bases - and her unique card-making touch - Karen made an extra 8 cards. A whopping 16 cards out of one kit! And there were still bits and pieces that could be used on other cards.
This kit will definitely make your Christmas card creation a breeze. 'Christmas Cheer' is available both in-store and in our Online Store. Get your kit today while supplies last. 👍
September 1, 2020
September is an exciting month at Crop a While
Crop A While will be closed for one week September 5 to 11 (over the Labour Day weekend and the following week) as Carole and Tom move to their new home in Orleans. When we come back it will be a special time for Crop A While
September 12 to 30, 2020 - In-store and Online
- In-store shopping: you will get 20% off everything in the store - and still earn your regular points (10%)
- Online shopping: as of Sept 12 use ANNIV7 code to get 30% off your order (since we can't do points online)
- Chance to win prizes: Every purchase will enter your name in a draw to win one of 20 surprise prizes from vendors that arrived in our goodie bag from on an online retailer event in May. Winners will be announced October 3rd.
The NEW NORMAL Normal at Crop A While
The new normal brought by the COVID-19 Pandemic has been challenging as we adapt to shutdowns, social distancing, masks and increased sanitizing practices. But change also brings opportunities. At Crop A While, we are finding new ways of holding classes/crops and improving your in-store and online shopping experiences. We appreciate your ongoing support and welcome suggestions as Crop A While moves into its next seven years.
Monday: - closed
Tuesday to Saturday: 11 am to 4 pm
Thursday and Friday: 4 pm to 8 pm - by appointment (as of Sept 17)
Sunday: Noon to 4pm
Cropping times are back:
Crops have restarted (max 5 spaces) for Tuesdays to Saturdays. Pre-registration is required to ensure we have safe space for all. Crop A While has established hand, surface and equipment sanitizing processes as well as assigned seating to ensure 6ft distancing between croppers.
Classes will begin in October:
In August, we held the monthly Pocket Pages scrapbooking class to test out teaching with social distancing in mind. More classes will come (planned for October) as we get new equipment and instructors prepare their classes.
Sales events are being planned:
Sales will be held both in-store and online and will be spread across several days. For in-store shopping, we will also control the number of people allowed in the store at one time. Check out the Anniversary Sale details above!!
Drop into the store or check out the New Arrivals on Crop A While's Online Store to the see the papers, collection packs, card kits, 6x6 paper pads, sticker sheets, stamp/die sets from PhotoPlay, Lawn Fawn, and Tim Holtz, as well as 2021 mini calendars from Frog's Whiskers.
- “The New Normal”
With the pandemic, what will getting back to routine look like for you this fall? Document your unique experience with PhotoPlay's pandemic-themed collection.
- “Gnome for the Holidays – Halloween and Christmas”
In these collections the PhotoPlay Gnomes are just too cute all dressed up for trick or treating and for the holiday season. Lots of scrapbooking and card making possibilities!!
- “Not a creature was stirring ...”
This whimsical PhotoPlay collection covers all the holiday bases, from Christmas Eve to a fun-filled Christmas morning, and every holiday memory in between. Warm hues of cranberry red, balsam and pink frolic with gold, pine green and icy blue to bring an eclectic spirit to all that you create.
- "Christmas Cheer"
With the perfect blend of nostalgia and a dash of contemporary elegance, PhotoPlay's Christmas Cheer will make all of your projects jolly and bright. Double-sided papers in winter shades midnight black, berry red and crimson mingle together with a dusting of frosty white.
July 30, 2020
City of Ottawa's Temporary Mandatory Mask By-law - the new normal at Crop A While.
On July 15, the City of Ottawa's Temporary Mandatory Mask By-law came into effect and we want to clarify what that means for Crop A While clients.
Section 3 of the By-law states that "every person who enters or remains in an Enclosed Public Space shall wear a Mask in a manner that covers their mouth, nose, and chin." Since Crop A While is an indoor retail business open to the public, it qualifies as an Enclosed Public Space and shoppers, croppers and staff are required to wear masks while in the store.
This by-law does not apply to:
- a child who is younger than two (2) years of age, or a child who is under five (5) years of age chronologically or developmentally and who refuses to wear a Mask and cannot be persuaded to do so by their caregiver;
- a person with a medical condition, including breathing or cognitive difficulties, or a disability, that prevents them from safely wearing a Mask (No person shall be required to provide proof of any of the exemptions);
- a person who is unable to put on or remove their Mask without the assistance of another person;
- a person who needs to temporarily remove their Mask while in the Enclosed Public Space for the purposes of: receiving services that require the removal of their Mask; consuming food or drink; or an emergency or medical purpose;
- a person who is employed by or is an agent of the Operator of an Enclosed Public Space (e.g. Crop A While) is not obligated to wear a Mask under this by-law while: in an area of the premises that is not designated for public access; or when located either within or behind a physical barrier, including but not limited to a plexiglass barrier.
For more information about the by-law, please visit the City of Ottawa website at https://ottawa.ca/en/living-ottawa/laws-licences-and-permits/laws/law-z/living-ottawa/laws-licences-and-permits/laws/law-z/temporary-mandatory-mask-law-law-no-2020-186
Thank you for your cooperation and please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
June 12, 2010
Reminder Karan Gerber classes that were planned for this weekend (June 13-14) at Crop A While have been cancelled.
It seems that our online registration system sends reminders out the day before classes. Please disregard that email.
We have also sent out an email explaining the options for anyone who had pre-paid their classes. If you paid and did not receive that email, please let us know.
Thanks and have a great weekend.
June 2, 2020
JUST ARRIVED at Crop A While - Great PhotoPlay products for documenting COVID-19 experiences and events
First Responders Thank You Card Kit:
Doctors, nurses, policemen, firefighters, service men and women, and many other essential employees are working tirelessly through these uncertain times. Here’s a perfect kit to thank them! This kit makes eight cards and has many leftovers to make more. Kit includes eight card bases, die cut ephemera and 12×12 sheets of component parts.
Living the Quarantine Life:
"One day, and I hope it’s soon, we’ll all be looking in our rear view mirrors at the COVID-19 pandemic. We’ll wipe a single
tear from our eye, fondly remembering social distancing, homemade Purell and toilet paper hoarding. While we’re trying to laugh about it right now, this exclusive limited edition collection is perfect for documenting this moment in history." PhotoPlay
This line includes four 12x12" two-sided papers, a paper pack, an ephemera pack and a stamp set.
We can just stay home:
Perfect for scrapbooking all of your stay-at-home adventures, We Can Just Stay Home is filled with monster slippers, pillow fights, blanket forts and so much more. This line includes six two-sided papers, a paper pack, an ephemera pack and a sticker sheet.
These new products are available both our physical and online store - these are limited edition products so order early to get yours!
May 15, 2020
Online Store Phase 2 - NEW ARRIVALS and Paper Lines Plus categories added
We have now added two new features to our Online Store:
1) A NEW PRODUCTS section is now at the top of the list of categories. It includes new products in alphabetical order by the name of the line - so all the elements papers, embellishments, stamps, dies are all together.
2) Under the Paper category, Printed paper 12"x12" has been changed to Paper Lines Plus. The 'Plus' means that all the other parts of the line are included - again so that all the pieces in the lines are displayed together. The non-paper items are also displayed in their particular categories.
We have recently picked up several orders and have almost 100 new products - with more on their way:
- Echo Park - I Love Spring paper line and embellishments
- PhotoPlay - Camp Happy Bear / Monterey Bay paper lines, stamp/die combos and embellishments
- Prima - Pretty Mosaic paper line and embellishments
- Simple Stories - Best Year Ever / Hip Hop Hooray / Simple Vintage Garden District paper lines and embellishments
May 2, 2020
Happy National Scrapbooking Day
To celebrate Crop A While's Online Store is now open and we hope you will come shop with us!
With more than 20,000 products in inventory, it will take us a while to get most of them online. So in this first phase, we are starting with items we thought you might be running low on - adhesives, plain cardstocks and inks - as well as few other items. So head on over to the ONLINE STORE and check it out. We are really excited about this new adventure and hope you will like this new service!
PS. And don't forget that Mother's Day is coming up and Crop A While Gift Cards are always appreciated - also available online!
April 23, 2020
COMING SOON - Crop A While Online Store
We are very happy to announce that we are building Crop A While's online store. Products have been loaded into our system and we are busy attaching photos. The online store will be rolled out in phases. Essential products (we are sure many of you are running low on glues and double sided tapes) will be the first ones available. and then we will add other categories of products over the coming weeks. New releases of paper lines will also be added as they are available.
With Mother's Day just around the corner, we will also be adding Gift Cards in the early roll out.
Our target date is Saturday, May 2nd - National Scrapbook Day. Watch our website, newsletter and FaceBook page for more information - as it becomes available!
March 16, 2020
COVID-19 Precautions at Crop A While
As the coronavirus and COVID-19 are spreading around the world, we’re sure you, like us, have been implementing the strategies recommended by Heath officials.
For everyone's safety, the Crop A While team has disinfected all the Oasis tables, chairs, counters and equipment, as well as the cash counter and other surfaces frequently touched. The team also has supplies on hand to disinfect credit card terminals after each use.
On Friday, Ottawa’s chief medical officer, Dr. Vera Etches, issued a message urging residents to stay home unless necessary. In order to protect our team and clients, and to support efforts to stop (or at least slow) the spread of this virus through social distancing, Crop A While will be closed as of today, until next Tuesday, March 24. We will reassess the situation as new information becomes available.
As well, all classes and events through to the end of March are being postponed. If you are registered for the Spring Mega Crop on Saturday March 21, your registration fee will be carried forward to a future crop of your choice. As well, if you are registered for Heather Telford’s classes 'Watercolour on Black', Heather has confirmed that she will reschedule these popular classes once it is safe to do so.
We urge everyone to stay safe and, of course, take advantage of the extra at-home time to get your ‘crafty cap’ on.
See you soon, Carole & Tom.
March 2020 at Crop A While
(February 21, 2020)
Classes, Crops and Special Events for March 2020 have now been added to the Calendar page.
- Mar 1 - Pocket Pages (Jan 2020) with Carole Fulton
- Mar 6/8 - Spring into Action - card class with The Crafty Cigale (Liane Desmarais-Cavanagh)
- Mar 7 - Ottawa Planner Meet up
- Mar 14 - Flower Power - mixed media and acrylic painting project with Stephanie Pouliot
- Mar 15 - Kid's March Break Craft Time - time to explore mixed media with Crop A While instructors
- Mar 21 - Spring has Sprung 12-hour Mega Crop - crop / shop / mini-classes / challenges / draws ...
- Mar 22 - Mixed Media Sunday - workshop with Sue Belleau
- Mar 26/27 - Watercolour on Black - card class with Heather Telford
- Mar 28 - Spring Flower Wreath - flower shaping and DIY project with Trina St Michael
- Mar 29 - Pocket Pages (Feb 2020) with Sascha Lange
Looking forward to you joining us for some of these great activities.
Drop in or call the store at 613-424-6831 to register or register online for classes that have the Add to Cart option 🤩
Hello from Crop A While and Karan Gerber ✍️
(February 9, 2020)
There has been a change in dates for Karan's classes that were to be held at Crop A While on the Feb 22 -23 weekend. Sign ups have been a bit slow (we think due to winter weather) so we are moving the classes to June 13/14. This was the earliest date that worked for both the store and Karan.
If you have already registered and paid, your space has been automatically reserved for the new dates.
With the many changes coming to Karan's family this fall, (building a new home; selling their current home, packing and moving) this will be the only weekend she will be booking with Crop a While for 2020! So make sure to register for your space as soon as possible.
February 2020 at Crop A While
(January 24, 2020)
Classes, Crops and Special Events for February 2020 have now been added to the new live Calendar page.
We hope you like the clickability where a click on the calendar items take you directly to their descriptions. Here's a summary of this month's activities.
- Feb 1 - I Heart Crafting 12 hour Mega Crop
- Feb 2 - Pocket Pages with Carole Fulton
- Feb 7/9 - Blue Chip Stock ... - card class with The Crafty Cigale (Liane Desmarais-Cavanagh)
- Feb 8 - Ottawa Planner Meet up
- Feb 15 - Local artist Stephanie Pouliot is joining the Crop A While teaching team. Her first class will be:
- This Is Us 2-page scrapbooking layout class
- Feb 16 - Mixed Media Sunday - workshop with Sue Belleau
- Feb 19 - Sweet Hummingbird & Rosie Rabbit Spectrum TriBlend card class
- Shelley Lanthier + Your Next Stamp + Spectrum Noir TriBlends equals an amazing technique class.
- Feb 22 and 23 - Karan Gerber is back at Crop A While with three new classes:
- Feb 22 - Sound of Summer - mini album
- Feb 23 am - Just Love Our Story - canvas layout
- Feb 23 pm - Victorian Home and Classic Roses - card class
- Feb 26 - Art Journaling with Stephanie Pouliot
Looking forward to you joining us for some of these great activities
Drop in or call the store at 613-424-6831 to register or register online for classes that have the Add to Cart option 🤩